Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Walk Hard: A Really Overdue Review


I just watched Walk Hard:The Dewy Cox Story and I must say, I don't think I've ever had such mixed feelings about a movie. The premise is a bit unoriginal in a Scary Movie fashion, using direct parallels from Walk the Line and Ray. I know this was the main point of this type of movie, but I am getting a little burned out on the unoriginal, uniform tangent orientation of these spoofs. In addition, there is a significant extreme between the slap stick element of the film in comparison with its serious points; its Anchorman meets Almost Famous meets Mafia, two of which I adore. Another problem was the gratuitous cock shots scattered throughout the middle of the film. I'll laugh at shock humor just as much as the next guy, but wrinkly dick does nothing for me but make me want to watch something else. On top of that, they trick the guys in the audience into HAVING to see dick; multiple naked women walking around a room is not something a man can look away from, but then to have close-up shots of man bag suddenly flashed into the screen is enough to make a guy seriously pissed off.

Anyway, on to the high points. The cast is amazing, with Paul Rudd, Jack Black, Justin Long, and Jason Schwartzman all having cameos as The Beatles which, for me, was the absolute highlight of the movie, being the huge Paul Rudd fan I am. The music was actually catchy at 3 or 4 points during the film and I found myself going through to the closing credits just to see what the songs were called for future downloading purposes. In addition to the super hilarious Beatles, Jenna Fischer(The Office) was truly funny and made me adore her even more than I did before.


I guess what I'm trying to say is that the cast was fantastic but the movie was complete shit. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet and make your own judgment. I suggest downloading it off Lime wire or borrowing it from a friend. You're going to watch it once and then it will more than likely become a coaster on the coffee table, a makeshift Frisbee or mouse pad, or that DVD that gets stolen from your house during a party and you never notice it's gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that was a huge mixed feeling review. But a good one none the less. I've noticed this sudden trend of showing random dick scenes in movies lately. For example, Forgetting Sarah Marshall had a TON of dick shots. A little disturbing I must say. Especially when the guy is only semi attractive. Call me shallow.. whatever. I'm not okay with seeing random penis shots. Anyhow, this comment is getting lengthy. As always, I enjoyed the blog :) PEACE.

Jen said...

I don't really have any desire to see this movie...although the beatles part sounds funny...but I do have to agree... Paul Rudd fuckin' rocks. I want to have his babies.