Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Amy Winewho?


I am proud of this post, so I thought I would put it on here even though it's seen the likes of Myspace before.


The product of American popular culture that I am, I like to think I have a fairly solid handle on music and movies and the like; at least to some degree. It’s hard not to be consumed by the bombardment of celebrity exposures and red carpet happenings when 7 out of 70 channels show Ryan Seacrest balls deep in A-List Land 12 hours a day. There is one thing that has somehow valiantly eluded me to this day. Amy Winehouse. Who in the hell is Amy Winehouse? Every time I see this woman she is running down the street half naked in a drug crazed zone-out looking like a future CSI: NY subject. I don’t even know if she is an actor, or a singer, or some kind of heiress (that we are all so quick to give celebrity status to these days). Most of the time celebrities blossom in the beginning, gradually escalate the shenanigans as their fame grows, and then, when they can get no higher up on the celeb food chain, they explode into a brilliant display of drug abuse, debauchery, and sexual indiscretion. I think Amy Winehouse may be dyslexic. Hopefully after the 4 week spin dry programs, and the 3 month stay at Antigua's Crossroads Center, Amy’s inner child will die in the arms of her sobering maturity and we can all take solace in the fact that we didn’t need to know who she was, or what she did. It didn’t matter. She isn’t a “shooting star” or even a “rising star”, she’s the smoldering ashes of a paparazzi induced car accident called modern day entertainment.

No comments: