Thursday, May 29, 2008

Looking back...and smiling

The trivial yet crucial question that comes up in someone's mind when they meet a new friend for the first time is this, "what will this person think about me when they are gone?". Granted, this eternal question may be presented in a plethora of fashions, but we all think about it in some sense or another. I learned tonight that the only way to truly generate a legitimate answer is to think about the question from another point of view. How did I see them as they left? In all honesty, I think we will all find that we were so concerned about our own safety and comfort level that we disregard the satisfaction of the other person. I was lucky enough to meet someone who made it really easy to be as corny, lame, and awkward as I would normally be while at the same time keeping me interested in everything they had to say. The moral of this story is this:

No matter how uncomfortable you may be around a new friend, if they are a person worth talking to, you will not hide behind your fear, insecurities, or inability to make eye contact(sorry about that, it's my 'thing'). And once the person has gone, don't think about the things you did wrong, think about the things they did right; the things that made you happy to have the conversation in the first place. Win Win.

No comments: